Sunday, February 22, 2009

Interview with Wayne Grudem


C.J. Mahaney recently interviewed Wayne Grudem - Parts 1, 2, 3, & 4.

Grudem was my mentor during my studies at Phoenix Seminary and many of the things he shares in these interviews are very important to me. When I first met him in person, what amazed me most was not his intellect (though profound) nor his humility, but his prayer life. I had heard few people talk about their prayer life with such clarity and intentionality.

In 2001 I spent a summer in Santa Cruz, California with Campus Crusade for Christ. While there I developed a close friendship with a man that I admired much. He was athletic, had a sharp mind, was hard charging, yet compassionate towards the hurting. One day we were on a hike in Yosemite and he said, "John, when I think of you, I will always pray that you become a man of prayer." That meant the world to me to know another man would be praying so intentionally for me. I think of that often and ask for the Lord to help me grow in my prayer life. Grudem's example, Tom Nelson's practice of keeping a prayer journal for the members of his church, and my parent's example of faithfulness in prayer have all been a great encouragement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know I'm late on this one John, as I haven't been keeping up with my reader, but I really enjoyed that interview. Especially the part where he discusses his morning Bible study and prayer routine. Thanks for passing it along!