Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Get Fit in 2010


One of the keys to exercising is to make it easy and enjoyable.  That's why I don't run - no fun and takes too much time - plus it hurts my back and knees and makes me feel like a hamster.  I've mostly lifted weights and played Basketball instead, but going to the gym takes time as well.

Early in college, my Bible study leader said he does 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups in the evening before going to bed if he doesn't have time to make it to the gym.  Great idea - and I've been amazed how effective this simple step can be. I usually do them in 2 or 3 sets, but if you can't start with 100, then set a timer for 5 minutes and do as many as you can of each, alternating back and forth between the two.

I've also wanted to add pull-ups to this regiment, and this Christmas my father-in-law gave me this great pull-up bar.

I've used it for a couple of weeks now and have been pleased.  Partly because my exercise routine has started to shift from heavier weights at a gym to body-weight exercises.  This is a style of exercise that I've been learning more about over the last few years and I wish I would have known more about when I was younger.

Having equipment readily accessible makes exercising easy - and a pull-up bar hanging in your doorway (one that requires NO INSTALLATION and can easily be moved out of the way) is as about as easy as it gets.  You can do a few at night and a few in the morning and get as much effect - if done properly - as 30 minutes in a gym (when adding the sit-ups, push-ups, and dips).

The push-up feature on the bar is great as well. Usually, I can do anywhere between 50-70 standard push-ups at a pop.  But using this bar - which allows you to go much deeper - I'm lucky to get 15.  And I feel stronger as well after using it for just a few weeks.  One of my fitness goals this year is to be able to do a planche push-up like this guy (at the end of the video) and I'm hoping this bar will help get me there!

So if you're looking to start the new year with some exercise, try ordering this pull-up bar and giving it a go.  At $40, it's much cheaper than a treadmill or gym membership, so your risk is much lower.  Start small so you don't get discouraged - even 5 minutes makes a difference.  And if you can't do even 1 pull-up, you can still use this bar because it's so close to the ground, you can use your feet to help you get up (you can pull your knees up once you are able to do a full one).

Finally, if you are already in the habit of exercising, but wanting to do more body weight exercises at home to avoid the cost and time of a gym, try following this guys routine.  And maybe, as I continue to use this fancy new bar, I'll be able to avoid any further embarrassing losses to theologians in a pull-up contest!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And here my only goal was to get back down below 200 (for now)... John, we haven't talked in awhile. Give me a buzz -- I'd love to hear any workout advice you have. -- Brian R.